Ah, jeans. The wardrobe staple that’s been with us through thick and thin. But let’s be honest, the quest for the perfect pair can feel like scaling Mount Everest in flip-flops. We’ve all been there: the dreaded gaping waistband, the endless parade of styles, bad fits and more.
But fear not! Today, I’m bringing you all the answers to your denim dilemmas. Because let’s face it, one size (and cut) does not fit all.
- Quality over quantity. Rather than having 10 pairs of fast fashion jeans that don’t fit you well, spend that on a couple of more expensive pairs that will fit you better and last you longer. Remember to look for preloved premium brands!
- High rise tends to be the best fit for most women but if you have a short torso, you might find that mid-rise works better.
- Good denim will feel tight when you first try it on. You need to give it time to stretch because if you go looser, you’ll find they’re probably too big for you in the long run.
- The waistband should be on your natural waist, which is the smallest part of your torso, not on your tummy if you want them to feel comfortable.
Now let’s dive into the nitty-gritty of rises, washes, and leg shapes, and celebrate the glorious kaleidoscope of body types that make us, well, us! From the hourglasses to athletic rectangles, the curvy pears to the straight-up amazing in-betweens, we all deserve to feel confident and comfortable in our own skin (and denim).
Rectangle shape – your body is straight with little to no definition
The key to rocking jeans as a rectangle is all about creating curves and defining your waistline. Here are some styles that’ll be your best friends:
- High-waisted: These jeans sit right above your natural waist, cinching it in and adding instant definition. Bonus points for styles with wider waistbands or belts to further accentuate your middle.
- Bootcut: This classic style flares slightly from the knee down, balancing out your straight figure and adding a touch of femininity. Wear them with heels or pointed toes rather than trainers.
- Mom jeans: These relaxed-fit, high-waisted wonders offer comfort and style in equal measure. The extra fabric around the hips and thighs balances your upper body and creates a casual-cool vibe.
- Straight-leg: Don’t underestimate the power of a classic straight-leg cut! Choose styles with a slightly tapered leg to avoid looking boxy, and pair them with fitted tops to create a sleek silhouette.
Pear shape – bigger lower body compared to the upper body
The secret to perfectly balanced jeans is in highlighting your waist and creating visual harmony. Get ready to embrace the following styles:
- Flared: The gradual widening of the leg in flare jeans creates a more balanced and proportional silhouette.
- Dark washes: Pick darker washes and draw attention to your upper body for a balancing effect. Dark denim is a timeless and versatile fashion staple.
- Curve range: More brands are bringing out curve denim ranges for all sizes, which cater to smaller waists and larger hips & thighs. Check out Abercrombie & Fitch or Madewell.
Hourglass shape – wider upper and lower body with a narrow waist in the middle
Say goodbye to baggy blah! Hourglass shapes, it’s time to celebrate your figure with jeans that hug your curves and show off that gorgeous waistline. Get ready to meet your denim soulmates, designed to make you feel confident and fabulous:
- Skinny and slim: Don’t shy away from skinny jeans! Go for styles with a bit of stretch for comfort, and pair them with looser tops for a balanced look.
- High rise: Jeans should be mid- to high rise to elongate your legs. Wide waist bands are great too, as they accentuate your small middle.
- Tapered: The subtle narrowing towards the ankle visually balances out your hips and thighs, creating a more proportional and elongated look.
Inverted triangle – bigger upper body & shoulder line compared to the lower body
Also known as Strawberry shape! When it comes to jeans, your athletic shape with broader shoulders and narrower hips deserves styles that balance your proportions and create a harmonious silhouette. Here are some of the best jeans to flatter your figure:
- Wide-leg: Embrace the full-leg trend with high-waisted wide-leg jeans. They’ll add significant volume to your lower body, creating a stunningly balanced shape, and they look great with heeled ankle boots.
- Boyfriend blues: BF styles can work wonders on inverted triangles. Choose looser, relaxed fits with a slightly tapered leg to avoid looking boxy.
- Bootcut flare: The gentle flare that starts below the knee subtly draws the eye downward, minimizing the appearance of broader shoulders and creating a more balanced visual weight distribution.
Apple shape – wider in the middle and upper body with a smaller lower body
Your figure calls for jeans that highlight your assets and create a balanced silhouette. Here are some styles that’ll become your denim besties:
- Straight-leg: This classic cut elongates your legs and balances your midsection without adding bulk. Find styles with a slightly tailored fit to avoid appearing boxy.
- Cropped cuts: Show off your amazing legs with cropped jeans! Ankle-length styles are incredibly versatile, while shorter hemlines add a playful touch.
- Darker washes: Wear darker washes to create a streamlined look. Stick to clean lines without any details.
So, there you have it – the perfect pair of jeans awaits every shape! But navigating the denim world can feel overwhelming, especially when you’re juggling different body types, preferences, and trends. Remember, finding the perfect jeans is a journey, not a destination. Experiment, have fun, and don’t be afraid to seek out help from a professional stylist to unlock your denim potential.
That’s where I come in! As a personal stylist, I’m passionate about helping people find clothes that make them feel confident and fabulous. I’ll not only analyse your unique body shape and style, but also delve into your lifestyle and personality to curate a denim wardrobe that reflects you. No more endless fitting rooms and frustrating misses – I’ll take the guesswork out of finding the perfect fit and flair, whether you’re craving timeless classics or trendy twists.
Ready to embrace your denim destiny? Take a look at the services I offer & send me a message – let’s find the jeans that were practically made for you! Remember, confidence is the best accessory, and the right pair of jeans are a timeless staple in your wardrobe.
Don’t forget to leave a comment below and share your own denim tips, or ask me a question!